Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Virtual FieldTrip

This website has a list of several "virtual" fieldtrips. We have just completed a study on ecosystems in science with my 3rd graders. I was looking for a website, or "trip", that would allow them to view the location "live" (not in just picture slideshows...like they already see in their book). Unfortunately, of all the places I looked, I was unable to find such a trip for ecosystems. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

http://www.efieldtrips.org/Schedules/searchResults.cfm?searchType=all

The fieldtrip I went on was the Biscayne National Park: An Underwater Ecosystem Adventure. It is a tour of an underwater ecoystem, but like I mentioned above, it is made up of pictures and facts. There is some interactive parts where students move puzzle pieces, use a flashlight to see animals, use a magnifying glass to see coral up close, etc.

A few things I like about this site is that there is a:
*Fieldtrip Journal that the students can fill out and complete as they "go" on their trip and record information that they learn.
*Ask the Experts link that allows students to ask questions they may have regarding their trip.
*Evaluation of the trip link incase you have comments, concern, or suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment